Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

The Stone Boy (1984)

If you are the right age and was a movie going kid or teen in the 80s you might remember Jason Presson and if not his actual name then the character of Darren Wood that he played in the iconic Explorers. Jason Presson has no credits after 1997 but was quite active in film and television in the ’80s and 90s in films such as the mentioned "Explorers" and the ghost story "The Lady in White."

Presson also starred in another 80s film that was sadly overlooked on its initial release and sadly many might not be familiar with The Stone Boy which is an emotional drama where a midwestern farm family faces major emotional adjustment after a tragedy in which the younger son accidentally shot and killed his older brother.

Jason Presson is outstanding as the young boy who is emotionally shunned by his family after the tragedy and he completely retreats within himself as his stoic parents beautifully played by Robert Duvall and Glenn Close treats him like he does not exist. The film is an inside look at the different ways we handle grief.

I had completely forgotten about this film but the other night while channel surfing caught it about halfway through and watched the remainder.

The film is well acted by the cast as mentioned Presson is just great in his role which involves a lot of nonverbal acting but the star of the show is the cinematography, as an amateur photographer I admire those great shots of the breathtaking landscape of the open midwest.

The movie will surely have the more emotional audience members shedding a tear or two have a box of hankies ready, the film is definitely slow moving but really worth the watch. I recommend this film to all movie fans who like good quality films.

I decided this was a good one to mention since we are focusing mostly on films with child and teen actors in prominent roles and this fits the bill.

Uploaded files:
  • stoneboys_poster.jpg

@Wincott, that is a good find I remember seeing this movie ages ago on video and it was a very good movie with as you mentioned great acting. The kid was good and a year later he was in the better know 80s classic Explorers.

I would like to see this one again, very good post and a long forgotten and ignored movie I agree.

Saturday Night at the Movies.

I have seen this and it is a film that is really passed over, very touching film, good acting, solid writing and cinematography. I was drawn to the excellent acting by the boy Jason Presson, as mentioned the film relies on a lot of non-verbal acting, facial expressions and the body language use as reactions.

A modern-day family tragedy that is slow moving but riveting with wonderful acting and cinematography, perfect score but the always outstanding James Horner, touching and yet heartbreaking.

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

I agree this is an overlooked film and that is too bad as this is a film well worth your time, enjoy the story, the acting, the music the gorgeous midwestern scenery and the on cue soundtrack by James Horner. To be right on topic with this site a very nice performance by the child actor Jason Presson.

Edit - Not really spoilers but just testing out he neat new feature of the forum. 🙂

I have this DVD in my collection, excellent but slow-moving drama that is well acted and shot. The boy is outstanding in this film, very effective non-verbal acting.

Thanks for mentioning this it sounds very interesting so after reading this I opened another window and checked the IMDB reviews and I would like to see this.

Another movie I have never heard of that I would like to see and I will leave my opinion when I get the DVD and watch it.

This movie came out about 35 years ago and I am not that old so I saw it on video and let me tell you it is a movie to put on and just enjoy the beauty of the midwest and the outstanding acting and the great James Horner score as mentioned.

@MIke, The Stone Boy is the kind of movie that is on the shelf when you get to the video store late and everything hot is gone, you look at it reluctantly choose it and go home and throw it on expecting nothing and you are quickly engrossed and exclaim at the end that was a solid movie.

Quote from Wincott on February 15, 2019, 8:08 pm

@MIke, The Stone Boy is the kind of movie that is on the shelf when you get to the video store late and everything hot is gone, you look at it reluctantly choose it and go home and throw it on expecting nothing and you are quickly engrossed and exclaim at the end that was a solid movie.

I like they way you put that and so true, even then audiences would ignore a solid film like The Stone Boy because there are no guns blazing, explosions, car chases and it is not an SFX filled extravaganza, just a solid well acted, shot and scored drama.

Quote from Wincott on February 15, 2019, 8:08 pm

No lie here that is exactly how I got to watch it when I first watched it on DVD it was left lingering on the shelf and I liked the leads so I gave it a chance.