Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

The Best Child Performances in Movie History

@Mike, Oh yes he was very good and I also forgot about that kid, disappeared from show biz after that role I was thinking he would be around for many more but I guess he did not want to act because I am sure roles would have been offered after There Wil be Blood.

Quote from Jeff Brown on June 9, 2018, 11:40 am

Let me share this link from indiewire of an article I came across, this subject I am sure many will have a list that is quite different from the other guy but i find this a good read and I agree with a lot on the list. Here you have some expected from the critics surveyed such as Haley Joel Osment (The Sixth Sense) and Quvenzhané Wallis.

If I was asked I would have to fit in Christian Bale (Empire of the Sun)...enjoy

The Best Child Performances in Movie History

Thanks for the article. I agree. A lot of performances that stand out. That article has a lot of good input. I'm glad to see they even included a recent performance or two like Alex Hibbert.

Quote from Mike on February 28, 2019, 12:26 am

I forgot about this kid because he was a one and done but I would say Dillon Freasier for "There Will Be Blood" this kid was outstanding and I think like Brad Renfro he had zero acting experience or training before the role. Dillon has no credits since and will be 23 on March 6, 2019.

Yes, Dillon is a forgotten great. There have been other one-shot wonders among child actors too like Peter Ostrum of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Ian Michael Smith of Simon Birch and J. Michael Moncrieff of The Legend Of Bagger Vance.

Quote from Jeff Brown on July 15, 2018, 9:32 pm

I would love to see @OmahaTrevor85 take on this topic, has he been on here at all?

I was late over here. Made my comments. Interesting how this article is a discussion via social media. Some overlooked like Ivana Baquero of Pan's Labyrinth and Gaspard Manesse of Au Revoir Les Enfants.

Quote from NebraskaTrevor85 on March 2, 2019, 4:48 pm

Yes, Dillon is a forgotten great. There have been other one-shot wonders among child actors too like Peter Ostrum of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Ian Michael Smith of Simon Birch and J. Michael Moncrieff of The Legend Of Bagger Vance.

Good list and for some we know why they quit Peter Ostrum had said he really did not like it and is now I believe a Veterinarian for large animals. Some just leave and in most cases, they left with an impressive only performance. There are others that don't stand out as much like Ricky Busker in Big Shots that was posted a few weeks ago on another thread.

Quote from Sofine on June 27, 2018, 6:04 pm

Justin Henry in Kramer vs Kramer.

A good one he was outstanding at just 7 years old and with no previous acting experience so good as a matter of fact he was nominated for an Academy Award as Best Supporting Actor for his role in "Kramer vs. Kramer."

I have since seen that movie on other media and I heard it was quite a sensation with lots of buzz way back in 1979.

Justin Henry was also very good a few years later in a Canadian film by the name of "Martin's Day" that starred Richard Harris, I saw that one at about 10 years old and it has me crying. 😛 have not seen it is years that is one not many know about.

Quote from Mike on February 28, 2019, 12:26 am

I forgot about this kid because he was a one and done but I would say Dillon Freasier for "There Will Be Blood" this kid was outstanding and I think like Brad Renfro he had zero acting experience or training before the role. Dillon has no credits since and will be 23 on March 6, 2019.

A big thumbs up for that one I had also completely forgotten about that kid, I think I wi cover "There Will Be Blood" at a later date as it features a former child actor which is the focus here.

Quote from Wincott on March 3, 2019, 6:24 pm

A good one he was outstanding at just 7 years old and with no previous acting experience so good as a matter of fact he was nominated for an Academy Award as Best Supporting Actor for his role in "Kramer vs. Kramer."

I have since seen that movie on other media and I heard it was quite a sensation with lots of buzz way back in 1979.

Justin Henry was also very good a few years later in a Canadian film by the name of "Martin's Day" that starred Richard Harris, I saw that one at about 10 years old and it has me crying. 😛 have not seen it is years that is one not many know about.

A good choice for sure Justin Henry was very good in Kramer vs Kramer a darling film of the 1979 year, to go on and become one of the youngest ever nominated for a supporting actor Oscar is no small feat.

Quote from NebraskaTrevor85 on March 2, 2019, 4:48 pm

Yes, those are some other good examples and I always wonder why and I figure it must be those kids never really wanted to be actors, don't tell me after There Wil Be Blod that people were not calling Dillon Freasier.

How about Harry Eden as Paul in "Pure" (2002) where he plays a young boy trying to deal with his mother's heroin addiction.

I don't claim to know much about good acting but when an acting job seems so real to me that is good.